What does this imply in terms of REELIN’ em’ N in 2008?
Did you know… that most normal, whatever that means, students in 2008 — at least on the secondary level — are savvy. I’m mean… REAL tech savvy? Ever asked a fish to swim? Or, asked a butterfly to show you how to dance on a hot summery day? Some things are sort of just common knowledge. No explanation necessary.
NOW HEAR THIS!!
Just 5 months into our brand new course @ Bremen High School (www.bremencs.com/~jwilborn), we have tons of kids asking me every single week “Hey! I hear your class is really cool. Gonna offer it next year? … Yeah, like. I “wanted” to take it this Fall but… you know. BUT I’M DEFINITELY gettin’ in next Fall.
ROCKIN’ and A-REELIN’ ’em’ N
These kids are podcasting out the wazzoo. News Reporter Podcasts, HOW I MADE MY OWN PODCAST podcast, + more.
Last Monday evening, I took a 15 year old girl – Level 1 student – and a 16 year old boy — Level 2 student — and had them tell the BOARD OF EDUCATION why they LOVE Music Technology.
The boy sayz… “You wanna know why I get OUT OF BED every day and come to school? For THIS!!!” He proceeds to play his 4 and 1/2 minute podcast with every eye glued to the wall observing some totally incredible stuff.
1. Pro Tools recorded his guitar in 3 tracks at 160 beats using a click track. Sings a couple more tracks.
2. Garageband. Next day. Creates/Edits drum tracks. Adds his own bass guitar part.
3. Imports Garageband file via his jump drive into Pro Tools. Clicks, drags. ShaBANG. This guy has his OWN original music totally self-produced ready for upload.
4. Creates a tutorial podcast on HOW I CREATED THIS PODCAST USING MY OWN MUSIC.
5. Takes the iMac home for the weekend from school. Works ALL DAY SATURDAY on it.
6. He and She sell the BOARD OF ED on WHY YOU NEED TO SUPPORT/FUND this program.
7. Ends with THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR!
What does this imply in terms of REELIN’ em’ N IN 2008?